Pre workout powders and drinks are very popular among body builders, athletes and fitness enthusiasts. Most make claims and have clever names that imply what their particular formulation is going to do for the user.
The most common claims are for energy, focus and “pump”.
There are some ingredients commonly found in pre workout supplements. Caffeine for energy and focus, Nitric Oxide for pumped muscles and BCAAs, (Branch Chain Amino Acids) for protein synthesis.
Frequently found in the ingredient list is “Proprietary Formula”.
The implication is that there is a secret formula that is so special the manufacturer doesn’t want to disclose what is in the formula or what the dosages are.
Jym Pre Workout powder is transparent in that all the key ingredients and their specific dosages are listed on the label.
What is Jym Pre Workout?
It is a powdered formula of 13 carefully selected supplements in specific dosages, designed to work synergistically to maximize effectiveness and results of the workout
What are these supplements and what do they do?
- Creatine HCL (2g) is used to improve exercise performance and increase muscle mass
- The more common form is Creatine Monohydrate. Creatine HCL has advantages in that it is absorbed much more quickly, smaller amounts are needed and there is no loading phase.
- Beta-Alenine (2g) works to increase muscle endurance especially during high intensity interval training, (HIIT). The increased training volume, (from the improved endurance), can result in greater gains in muscle and strength.
- Betaine (1.5g) has been shown, when ingested as part of a pre workout formula, can increase strength and endurance during the workout. Studies have shown it accelerates muscle growth. It slows muscle fatigue allowing training to last longer and more intensely.
- Taurine (1g) is a substance present in muscles. Supplementing additional Taurine has been found to increase endurance and reduce muscle soreness. Studies have shown that 1 to 6 grams of Taurine, ingested before, during and after exercise can help enhance these benefits.
- N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (600 mg), or, NAC as it is known provide powerful antioxidant performance within the muscles. This helps with protection and recovery of the muscle cells during and after training.
- Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline (150 mg), also known as. Alpha GPC, affects the body in 2 significant ways to enhance training performance and results. It increases the production of a neurotransmitter that causes improved muscle performance and release of Human Growth Hormone.
- Citrulline Malate (6g) helps with the widening of the blood vessels. As a result endurance and strength training are both enhanced. It also helps mental focus even without the use of caffeine.
- Beet (Beta vulgaris) Root Extract (500 mg) and the Nitric Oxide in Beet Root Extract serve to open up the blood vessels, enabling more oxygen to pump to the muscles.
- BCAA’s (Branch Chain Amino Acids)
- L-Leucine (3g) assists the spike of insulin, gets protein synthesis going and helps get creatine into the muscles
- L-Isoleucine (1.5g) helps endurance, repair and rebuilding of muscles, boosts energy and helps overall with recovery
- L-Valine (1.5 g) is used to repair muscle tissue and in muscle metabolism. It also helps in regulating nitrogen levels
- L-Tyrosine (1.5 g) is an amino acid that aids focus and mental clarity
- Caffeine Anhydrous (300 mg) is simply dehydrated caffeine. It is chemically the same as any other caffeine. It helps energy and focus
- Huperzine A [from Toothed Clubmoss (Huperzia serrata) Aerial Parts Extract] (50 mcg) is a substance derived from “Chinese club moss”. Yup. It’s moss. It improves alertness and focus.
- Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) Fruit Extract (as BioPerine®) (5 mg) does not have a direct impact on performance. However, what it does do is improves the bio availability of the other ingredients.
How is Jym Pre Workout Different From Others?
Many of the supplement companies out there burst on the scene with their newest creation.
They have terrific marketing campaigns and often times make claims that their product is the game changing breakthrough. Bodybuilders and fitness devotees have been waiting for.
Jym Pre Workout formula does not have any “Proprietary Formulas”. Those are supposed to make it look like they’ve got a true breakthrough supplementation they don’t want to reveal what is in it.
Unfortunately, when those things are tested out in the lab, they fall short.
They may have a handful of effective ingredients. Sometimes they are in lower dosages that would be ideal. They don’t have a scientifically selected group of 13 supplements in just the right dosages to maximize effectiveness.
If they did they would have to charge more money for their product because it cost more to add all those ingredients.
Another thing some supplement companies do is combine ingredients and call in “concentrate”. If you look at the size of the scoop in the container, it is very small. In Jym Pre Workout the scoop is big. It holds 26 grams. How could others contain the dosages that Jym does? No can do!
Who Formulated Jym Pre Workout?
Jim Stoppani, PhD is my go-to, science-based expert when it comes to exercise science, sports nutrition and supplementation.
As explained on his website, Dr. Stoppani received his doctorate in exercise physiology with a minor in biochemistry from the University of Connecticut. Following graduation, he served as a postdoctoral research fellow in the prestigious John B. Pierce Laboratory and Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology at Yale University School of Medicine, where he investigated the effects of exercise and diet on gene regulation in muscle tissue.
He’s written and edited various top industry periodicals and books. He’s trained celebrities like The Rock, LL Cool J, Dr Drey and more. He’s helped millions through his various platforms online. He has over 60,000 in his Facebook group.
And as he says on his website, his personal and company mission is to change lives through proper training, nutrition and supplementation, all based on the latest scientific research, while following the motto of “Do the Right Thing.” https://everipedia.org/wiki/lang_en/jim-stoppani
How and When do You Take It?
That may seem like a silly question, but, it’s an important question to answer if you are going to maximize the potential of formulation. Notice the directions: As a dietary supplement mix one scoop in 12-32 ounces of water and drink 30-45 minutes before workouts. Consider mixing it 10-15 minutes before drinking. Also consider drinking it over the course of 15-30 minutes.
Initially use 1/2 scoop or less to assess tolerance. Once tolerance is assessed take no more than 1 serving. To avoid sleeplessness do not consume within 6 hours of bedtime. For better results consider using Post Jym Active ingredients matrix after workouts.
I use Jym Pre Workout. I’ve used many pre workout powders and drinks over the years. This is the best one for me that I’ve ever used.
However, some people have complained of getting the Jitters. And, some people don’t like some of the flavors. It is more expensive than most other pre workout products.
To me, It tastes very good. I get fantastic focus. I have lasting energy to go to failure on every set. There is probably always some new ingredient that will make it even better. It’s my go-to pre workout drink. That’s the best recommendation I can give it. If you’d like to try it, click on the picture for either the 20 serving or 30 serving container. It will take you to the correct page on www.bodybuilding.com. I can’t find it cheaper anywhere else but they will match the price if it’s ever sold for less anywhere else.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you purchase anything through one of the links. However, this will not affect what you pay!
By the way, Jim Stoppani’s scientifically designed workouts are amazingly effective too. The pic below was when I was near the end of doing his 12-week “Shortcut to Size” workout. I’m in my 60’s. The Pre Workout drink helped too!