I have been researching the best recumbent bikes for seniors.
If you are looking for some type of home cardio equipment, there are many options to consider. Stationary bikes, elliptical machines, treadmills and rowing machines are amongst the most popular.
Each of these various kinds of equipment offers different approaches, advantages and disadvantages. Personal preferences and space limitations are major factors in deciding what’s best for you.
Any of the above-mentioned types of machines can offer wonderful fitness benefits.
Some people prefer exercising in an upright position. Others, prefer a seated position.
As we age, many people prefer a seated position for exercise. If you are one of those people, a recumbent bike will be worth your consideration.
What is a Recumbent Bike?
A Recumbent bike is one which the rider is seated in a reclined position with legs straight out to reach the pedals.
By being seated in this fashion, the focus of your exercise is on your lower body. You can relax your upper body or do other things with it.
In addition to enjoying the comfort of being seated, your lower back is also well-supported and mostly disengaged from the exercise. This can add to the comfort for those of us who are aging.
For example, if you enjoy reading while exercising, this is easily accomplished on a Recumbent bike. Staying engaged by reading or watching television may help you exercise for longer.
You want to maintain an appropriate level of focus on the exercise part. If you are reading and your legs are just sort of ‘going through the motions, you’ll be defeating the benefits you could, and should be deriving from the exercise.
[Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you purchase anything through one of the links. However, this will not affect what you pay!]
If you are interested in learning more about stationary exercise bikes click here.
Differences Between Upright and Recumbent Bikes
Traditional Stationary Bikes come in an upright position. Recumbent bikes come in a reclined position. Both provide “low impact” cardiovascular exercise. This differs from treadmills used for jogging or running.
- Reclined body position
- Pedals positioned in front of the body
- Larger seat
- Full back support
- Comfortable sitting position
- Reduced upper body tension and muscle fatigue
- Focused lower body and cardiovascular exercise
- Low and high impact cardio options
Traditional Upright Bikes
- Upright body position like a traditional bike you ride outdoors
- Pedals positioned under the body
- Smaller seat
- Limited upper body support
- Upright seated position may cause upper body fatigue/tension
- More consistent workout similar to outdoor riding
- Whole body and cardiovascular exercise
- Low and high impact cardio options
3G Cardio Elite RM Recumbent Bike Features
The 3G Cardio company produces many pieces of cardio equipment. With the 3G Cardio Elite RM Recumbent Bike, they make the “bold claim” that, “The 3G Cardio Elite RB is the most comfortable recumbent bike you will ever use!”
As you read this section, you will see why I think the 3G Cardio Elite Recumbent Bike is one of the best recumbent bikes for seniors.
The comfort of this bike along with the abundant features make this piece of cardio equipment worth considering for any of us as we age.
The many features are impressive and make this bike well worth your consideration:
- Preset Calorie, Time, Watt And Distance Goals
- 12 Built In Pre-Programmed Workouts
- 3 Heart Rate Interactive Workouts
- Simple Dial Control And User Interface
- 16 Levels Of Magnetic Resistance
- 4 User ID Settings To Generate More Accurate Workout Statistics
- Adjustable Seat Back
- Infinite Airflow Mesh Flex adjustable back rest reclining feature
- Easily adjust this seat back to a comfortable position during your workout
- Seat Frame Slide Adjustment
- Seat frame slide adjustment making it possible to accommodate user heights between 5’ and 6’4”
- Seat Frame Tilt Adjustment
- Seat frame tilt adjustment to allow users to customize their body angle and position
- Advanced Ergonomic Seat Technology
- 3G Cardio uses an over sized seat cushion and an Airflow Mesh Flex™ adjustable back rest to help the seat conform to your body shape and size guaranteeing comfort to your backside throughout your entire workout.
- “Perceived Exertion”
- This refers to how intense you feel your body is working. If you are uncomfortable on your bike, you will feel like you are working harder than you really are. If your exercise bike is comfortable, your “perceived exertion” will be lower, and you will enjoy your workout more.
- In addition to the amazing comfort of the seat and back rest, the 3G Cardio Elite Recumbent Bike also uses an advanced 3-method seat frame adjustment system.
- Small and compact! 49” Length / 27” Width
- Low height electronics display so you can easily view over and around the console
- Low height step thru center frame for easy access
- Narrow Q Factor distance between pedals making for an extremely ergonomically correct ride
- Easy lift rear handle / front transport wheels for easy movement of the bike
- Hand held heart rate contact sensors and included wireless Heart Rate strap
- Remote handle electronic buttons for easy programming
- Easily reach your water bottle during workouts
- Digital large format electronics display for easy viewing
- Simple dial control to easily set your desired programs
- Residential warranty: lifetime frame, 7 years parts, 1 year in-home labor
- Commercial warranty: 3 yrs parts, 1 year labor
Reasons why 3G Cardio Elite is Good for Aging men who Persue Fitness
The comfort of the 3G Cardio Elite Recumbent Bike is exceptional. If you can avoid some discomfort that may come with other types of cardio equipment, you are more likely to exercise. I doubt you would find equipment for the home that would be more comfortable.
If you are someone who finds yourself making excuses as to why you can’t make it to your health club, exercising at home might be just the thing to help you overcome those excuses.
If you are someone that will be more likely to do cardio and more likely to exercise for longer if you can ride your stationary bike and watch television, the 3G Cardio Elite Recumbent Bike might be just the right choice for you.
It is easy to move, so if you want to move the bike from the garage to the family room so you can be with family, the bike is very easy to move and you can do that.
Or, if you want to move the bike from the family room to the garage so you can watch your favorite team while the family watches something else, you can do that because the bike is so easy to move.
These options help make it more likely that you will overcome excuses and get in your cardio exercise.
If you would like to learn more, click on my article titled, “What is Fitness and Why Should You Want it?”
At the time of this writing, the 3G Cardio Elite Recumbent Bike is available for $1,599, $300 off the normal price of $1,899. Still, even at $1,599 it may be more than some are prepared to pay for a home cardio machine. You can purchase one here.
Having said that, it offers more features and a more comfortable seat that other bikes in its class as the charts above illustrate. And, at $1,599 it is at least $400 less expensive than most of its rivals.
Even if you like to work out at your local health club, if you can afford the addition of having a cardio machine at home, it gives you more options and you’ll be more likely to never miss a workout.
Hopefully I have helped you see why my research has brought me to the conclusion that the 3G Cardio Elite Recumbent Bike is one of the best recumbent bikes for seniors.